Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Sioux Tomatoes (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46807)

Goodloe February 25, 2018 06:12 PM

Sioux Tomatoes

I am thinking about adding Sioux tomatoes to my garden this year. From what I've read, they seem to be reliable producers even in high heat and humidity. Anybody have real world experience growing this variety? Wanna share?

edweather February 25, 2018 06:30 PM

I'll be interested in the replies, and maybe if there's a difference between Souix, and Super Souix.

franknmiss February 25, 2018 06:35 PM

Me too. I have 2 or 3 plants started for this year. I can say I did have some difficulty getting them going for some reason.

Goodloe February 25, 2018 06:38 PM

Me, too. I've seen 1 reference to the Super Sioux on here somewhere. She stated that she wasn't impressed with its production....

chiefbeaz February 25, 2018 06:41 PM

I grew Sioux last year along with Red Brandywine,,Bradley, Adkinson and Nepal in a raised bed. All of them put out a good amount of fruit with the exception of Adkinson. I was impressed with Sioux. I do plan to grow it again this year.

Goodloe February 25, 2018 06:44 PM

You started them from seed? I wonder if seedlings are available somewhere around here? btw...let me know if you might want some seedlings; looks like I will have some extra tomato and pepper seedlings left over...

Goodloe February 25, 2018 06:46 PM

That's helpful. How does it do for size? Does it make a big plant? I grew Adkinson last year. Wasn't impressed.

pmcgrady February 25, 2018 07:20 PM

I’ve got seeds from 2014, for some reason, I didn’t grow them anymore. It could be low production... not sure.

Harry Cabluck February 25, 2018 07:34 PM

Have grown Sioux for the past six years in Austin, Tx. Seed from Tomato Growers Supply. It germinates well. In early state, the plant seems flimsy (almost "leggy") when compared to most other varieties, but gains strength and does not seem to "bush" out. It adapts well to being grafted onto hardy rootstock. Stnads up well against the heat. Side-by-side comparisons, grafted vs non-grafted, do not show much difference, at least hereabouts. Tasty, baseball-sized, red, no interior pithy-ness. Of the 12-15 plants planned for this year's garden, we'll include two Sioux.

gardeninglee February 25, 2018 07:48 PM

I grew them in a container 4 years ago and they did poorly and taste was just meh. Never grew them again and donated all my seeds to the swap a few years ago. I get limited sun here though and grow on a patio.

FarmerShawn February 25, 2018 08:36 PM

I grew Sioux for several years, and only dropped it because, well something had to go. I will likely bring it back before too long. It's a reliable, good-tasting one that does well at market.

Redbaron February 25, 2018 09:49 PM

i grew it. i'll give it a b for heat tolerance

Goodloe February 25, 2018 10:08 PM

Anything else? Production? Flavor?

AlittleSalt February 25, 2018 10:17 PM

Goodloe, I cannot comment on Sioux other than I have never had any luck with it.

Chiefbeaz mentioned Bradley - that one is worth growing. It doesn't have a long shelf life, but it is good. It is one of our favorites.

pmcgrady February 25, 2018 10:27 PM

Non descriptive, plain tomato, mediocre flavor that did t do that well for me.
How’s that for review?