Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Growing 10 pastes- pls help eliminate!! (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=50817)

hl2601 February 3, 2021 06:56 PM

Growing 10 pastes- pls help eliminate!!

Hi all!
Planning the garden like many of you. Thanks in advance for your advice!

I can grow 10 pastes and here is the list.
At least 1 needs to go.
Also, If you have something you feel I am missing please let me know.
Have at it!! :)

Heidi
Shokoladnaja sosulka
Purple Russian/Ukrainian purple
Pomodoro Cuore di AnticoAcqui Terme
GILDO PIETROBONI
Pink icicle
Speckled roman
Marzano Fire
Jersey Devil
Orange Icicle
Ludmilla’s Red Plum

KarenO February 3, 2021 07:19 PM

Curious Why are you planning on growing 10 different pastes? A trial to see which you like best? , Ludmilla’s red plum is not a paste, it’s a big juicy red plum shaped slicer
KarenO

neoguy February 3, 2021 07:40 PM

Marzano Fire is a keeper for us. I'd also consider growing Opalka.

hl2601 February 3, 2021 07:54 PM

I do a lot of sauce and salsa and tomato paste so this year I wanted to try a whole bunch of "paste" types. Technically I suppose all are not truly pastes. How was Ludmilla's red plum for those who have tried it?

hl2601 February 3, 2021 07:55 PM

Thanks Neo guy- I grew Opalka maybe 8 years ago when I was pretty green and it did not impress me- I am sure user error had something to do with it!!!

hl2601 February 3, 2021 07:57 PM

Karen O I may also post my heart list...eeek. I bet you could really provide great insight on how to narrow down there.:) This is the year for hearts and pastes here. And of course cherries, because I always have far too many of those!

PNW_D February 3, 2021 09:26 PM

speckled roman is a must grow for your paste collection ........ really yummy sauce if roasted

FarmerShawn February 4, 2021 01:13 AM

Shokoladnaja sosulka is, for sure, a keeper. Opalka is one that is in my garden every year - sweet, tasty, and juicy enough that it also serves as a good eating tomato. Amish Paste and Orange Banana are also on my must-grow list. I grow Purple Russian every year, too, but never considered it a paste tomato. Just a great salad-sized one.

zipcode February 4, 2021 03:08 AM

[QUOTE=hl2601;761655]How was Ludmilla's red plum for those who have tried it?[/QUOTE]

A bit mealy, low acid, few seeds, big fruit, vigorous plant, bordering on tasteless.

I have something that looks exactly like Opalka, although it probably isn't exactly that, also I would say low acid, but the texture and flavor are really good, more than good enough to eat fresh, so I would give Opalka a try.

MrBig46 February 4, 2021 05:46 AM

In 2018, I made such a small assessment of tomato paste. In 2020 I wanted to add Heidi as well, but in that year I did badly with all the tomatoes .. Of course my assessment is subjective.

[url]http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44939&highlight=Gilbertie&page=4[/url]

Vladimír

KarenO February 4, 2021 09:35 AM

[QUOTE=hl2601;761657]Karen O I may also post my heart list...eeek. I bet you could really provide great insight on how to narrow down there.:) This is the year for hearts and pastes here. And of course cherries, because I always have far too many of those![/QUOTE]

You should post it! I think on your list the best is Marzano fire.
I have done a paste cross. Will grow out a small F2 this year to have a look at what there is.
I’m looking for a good sized, good tasting one with my stamp on it.
:)
KarenO

kath February 4, 2021 11:37 AM

A lot of BER can show up in my conditions and Heidi has been the winner of the dozens of pastes I've trialed for that reason but also for taste and production. That said, I haven't tried most of what's on your list so I'm just suggesting that you keep Heidi on the list. ;)

barbamWY February 4, 2021 05:25 PM

I agree on Heidi. It's on my permanent list. Tasty to eat raw too. I've not had blossom end rot with it either.
Barb

Fred Hempel February 4, 2021 05:39 PM

It looks like you are focused on OP varieties. But, if that is not an issue, I think [URL="https://www.highmowingseeds.com/organic-non-gmo-granadero-f1-tomato.html"]Granadero[/URL] is a very productive variety with versatile "paste" fruits.

hl2601 February 4, 2021 09:06 PM

OK [B]KarenO[/B]- a PASTE is coming ??!!! Sign me up! :) ( even if it is in 5 yrs! )
[B] Vladimir[/B]- thank you for referencing your past comparisons. If I see correctly you scored it
1. GilbertI Paste
2. Jersey Devil
3. Opalka
etc etc...
I had not considered Gilberti Paste. I think I will need to find seeds. Tomatoes that do well in your climate also do well in mine. Thank you for your insight and throwing a new one into the ring!
[B]PNWD[/B]- I agree- thanks for what you said. Speckled Roman has been a good one in the past and deserves to make the list.
[B]NeoGuy[/B]- Opalka Opalka Opalka :) Ok I need to give it another try! :)
[B]FarmerShawn[/B]- you originally sent me Shokoladnaja Sosulka from Carolyn's last offer. You loved it, so I had to try it. Yes yes yes. I won't be without it. Thank you for the original seeds. I am spreading them out to others .
[B]Kath[/B] and [B]BarbmWY[/B]- You ladies rock! I agree with your posts about Heidi. I grew it in honor of Carolyn and because it is my namesake and well wow..... the tomatoes just kept coming.. HeidI is staying!
Last- [B]Fred Hempel [/B]. Gosh I love when you chime in. I haven't heard of nor tried Granadero. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.. Description sounds just lovely. Has anyone got some personal insight after growing it?

So now, wonderful tomato friend,s here's the revised "Paste-ish"list.
I thank you genuinely for your input!
in no particular order:
GilbertI Paste
Heidi
Opalka
Shokoladnaja Sosulka
Jersey Devil
Marzano Fire
Granadero F1?
Purple Russian aka Ukrainian Purple
and what about Orange Icicle?

I don't have to have 10- if I can delete some ...welll.. that's more room for others :)

Does anyone else want to chime in?