Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   First Bennivento (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=51116)

biscuitridge June 25, 2021 09:02 AM

First Bennivento

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my first one to blush,in fact it's my very first tomato to turn red this year. Can't wait to taste it!

simmran1 June 26, 2021 11:48 PM

Wow Biscuit, I'm also growing Benevento and have only small green ones in southern Iowa. Benevento IS a nice healthy plant - though and I can't say that about other tomato plants in the garden at this time.

biscuitridge June 27, 2021 12:02 AM

I'm amazed at how early it is,it was the last planting around May 3rd ,and it was about 3 " tall when it went into the ground. It beat my sweet orange cherry tomatoes, I've never had a beefsteak this early. It's not showing much striping yet,maybe later ones will,we'll see.

Fred Hempel June 27, 2021 12:30 AM

[QUOTE=biscuitridge;764729]I'm amazed at how early it is,it was the last planting around May 3rd ,and it was about 3 " tall when it went into the ground. It beat my sweet orange cherry tomatoes, I've never had a beefsteak this early. It's not showing much striping yet,maybe later ones will,we'll see.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't look like Benevento, because it should have pronounced striping. Where did you get your Benevento seed?

It looks a bit too big to be Rosa di Benevento, too.

biscuitridge June 27, 2021 01:09 AM

[QUOTE=Fred Hempel;764730]That doesn't look like Benevento, because it should have pronounced striping. Where did you get your Benevento seed?

It looks a bit too big to be Rosa di Benevento, too.[/QUOTE]

I got the seeds from you on the kickstarter program. I guess time will tell. It happens to be the only Benevento plant that I have, the other one got eaten off by pill bugs. I'm sure that it is Benevento because I was really looking forward to growing it and took special notice of it's progress from seed.

biscuitridge June 27, 2021 01:23 AM

Oops! My bad,your right Fred it's not a Benevento, now I've got to find the right plant,SORRY!

biscuitridge June 27, 2021 01:28 AM

Now I feel really stupid,that photo was of African queen crossed with one of my world record tomatoes. Old age I guess lol.

Fred Hempel June 27, 2021 04:12 AM

[QUOTE=biscuitridge;764733]Now I feel really stupid,that photo was of African queen crossed with one of my world record tomatoes. Old age I guess lol.[/QUOTE]

No worries, the strange thing is that other than the lack of stripes, it could be Benevento!

Plant looks very vigorous.

Salsacharley June 27, 2021 12:54 PM

How big are those "not Beneventos"?

biscuitridge June 27, 2021 05:47 PM

[QUOTE=Salsacharley;764743]How big are those "not Beneventos"?[/QUOTE]

These Not Beneventos are about 4 1/2" across. Maybe I have a new name for my cross:))

KarenO June 27, 2021 07:44 PM

Bad idea imo. I’ve never liked the trend of naming off types “not” whatever
and this is not even an off type. It’s unrelated in any way.
It needs its own name once you stabilize it
KarenO.

biscuitridge June 27, 2021 08:10 PM

Your absolutely right Karen, I was just joking, I wasn't planning on stabilizing it. I totally agree with you!

KarenO June 27, 2021 11:10 PM

:) I figured you were kidding but the whole “ not “ this or that naming is a peeve of mine ;)
Going for a new record again this year Dan? Have some possible candidates already? Your cross above looks beautiful and super early so maybe it should get a name!
I hope you have your best year yet
I’ll be watching for a new world record. I saw a big one posted today over 9 lb from the PNW somewhere
KarenO

biscuitridge June 27, 2021 11:29 PM

[QUOTE=KarenO;764755]:) I figured you were kidding but the whole “ not “ this or that naming is a peeve of mine ;)
Going for a new record again this year Dan? Have some possible candidates already? Your cross above looks beautiful and super early so maybe it should get a name!
I hope you have your best year yet
I’ll be watching for a new world record. I saw a big one posted today over 9 lb from the PNW somewhere
KarenO[/QUOTE]

Thanks Karen,I don't blame you for your pet peeve, I would feel the same way. Thanks for your desire to see another WR, I don't think that it will happen this year though, it's been every other year for some strange reason.
Do you know who posted the 9 pounder and was it from this year?

KarenO June 27, 2021 11:55 PM

I’ll find out