View Single Post
Old April 5, 2006   #18
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

My germination rate has been all over the % spectrum. And there doesn’t seem to be much consistency to it.

I received FRESH seed from both Carolyn and Craig as well as locally from Earl and other CHOPTAG members. I also received seed from all over the States and Canada. I also saved some seed during my trip to Tomatopalooza III.

With one exception, a 2001 commercial variety, all of my sown seed is no more than 2 years old. Some from each of the above mentioned trades/offers, some saved by me, some from commercial sources.

I have had anywhere from 0 to 110% germination. The only consist category is seed I stole, I mean saved, while at Tomatopalooza III. Those seven varieties have given me 90% or better. I plant in 72 cell trays (cut into sets of six cells each) and there is nothing notable if I look at germination rates by six pack.

I guess it’s possible the even within a six pack some get planted deeper than others. But only by a fraction. If that’s making a difference I’d be real surprised.

So, enough of my ramblings. Like Craig, I don’t have the time right now to orchestrate a ‘controlled test’ plus I’m not sure I have the expertise to do it, but if someone
does put one together I would be glad to participate.