View Single Post
Old May 31, 2008   #40
kelleyville
Tomatovillian™

Dice,
Working on getting the leaves raked up, but not in any hurry, got mostly trees and brush on 8.92 acres! I need to mow too, but my mowers are both in storage back where we moved from so that will have to wait!

Gene,
Saw your pics they look great! I am going to plant more things in bales next year, I really want to grow squash in them as everyones squash looks so great!

I got one tomato in a bale that looks pathetic. It was one of the larger ones and I am wondering if I damaged the roots when I put it in. It is just kind of limp. I am giving it a couple of days to see if it perks up. None of the rest of the maters wilted or drooped at all, all though I did get some nitrogen burn on some of the lower leaves.

The bales heated up so fast I wonder if it is necessary to continue to add nitrogen on days 7-9 when preparing?

I guess I need to fertilized with something more balanced in a day or so, I was afraid to put anything else on them when planting because of the high nitrogen I had been putting in the bales and because the dirt the maters were planted in had already been fertilized. I do have a fresh batch of compost and alfalfa tea straining now, and cannot imagine that could hurt anything too badly!

Kelley
kelleyville is offline   Reply With Quote