View Single Post
Old June 13, 2008   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

To Carolyn - did some back tracking in my notes - and Craig's 94-64 Pur. Perfect x Pur. Price F2 came from your seed share 884 Purple Perfect X Purple Price NY MA (which I recall you received directly from Tad?) Anyhoo, I have no idea what Tad's goal was with this one, but I do know I was most impressed with the flavour of all three I grew out.

D, I'm having a hard time following what you're saying.

Tad sent me PPP directly. Craig sent me Purple Price.

I'm not aware of any cross that Tad sent either of us involving these varieties. and I never would have listed a cross in the SSE Yearbook so I'm not sure what Craig is listing my name for. Tad did send both of us a cross that was an F1 heart, but that's an entirely different story.

I was impressed with PPP but not PP as regards taste. That's just the way it is with me.

But this project certainly does look interesting.

Tad's goal back in the early 90's was just to see what crossing Ozark Pink and PP would look and taste like. At that time folks weren't doing their own crosses, and of course he had a Ph.D in the general area so knew what he was doing at that time.

There's still a variety I named Tad that Craig thinks might be a parent to Lucky Cross and Little Lucky. It's a small striped one with excellent taste that he developed with a three way cross. He told me I had a 1/64 chance of getting the right growout and I planted just 12 plants and got it the first time.

He said not to release it until he upsized it and in the meantime he left Philly and the company he was with, as far as I know, where he was head of the Late Blight Potato section.

Craig and I have both lost touch with him but I've honored his request and only Craig and I have seeds for Tad.