View Single Post
Old June 15, 2008   #20
Suze
Tomatovillian™

I thought other warm zone/Southern growers might find my results useful or interesting, so here goes:

This year, because it got hot so early, it may have forced early maturity for the ones that did not manage to form multiple cloves. Overall, I'm very pleased with my results, though. I harvested in two waves based on when the different types looked ready - May 9 and May 20.

Of the Creole types, the following seemed to do the best in terms of size and clove formation: Ajo Rojo (the largest), Burgundy, Creole Red, and Cuban Purple. Labera Purple and Pescadero Red were a bit smaller, but still turned out nicely. Spanish Benitee was also on the small side, and did not consistently form multiple cloves.

Artichoke types also did well for me, and all were able to form multiples. Inchelium Red and Simoneti gave me the largest heads, Italian Purple was just a little smaller.

Results were mixed with the Asiatic/Turban types. Red Janice produced some nice large heads, while Korean Red, Wonha, and Asian Tempest were smaller and did not consistently form multiples.

Metechi, a Marbled Purple Stripe, did not always form multiple cloves.

Anyone else with variety results they'd like to share?

Edit - one more thing, it's now time to start thinking about placing your garlic orders for fall planting before the various vendors run out of the largest heads, best/rare types, etc. Don't wait too long.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote