View Single Post
Old April 10, 2006   #12
grunt
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Location: Wynndel, B.C., in the Kootenays just above the Idaho panhandle

I've been using raised beds for 20+ years now, and personal preference is 3 foot wide by what ever length you don't mind walking around to get to the next bed (my current beds are 3X30'). I leave 3 foot wide paths between the beds to allow (as mentioned earlier by ddsack) barrow and mower movement. The only real driver here is personal preference. I started with 3' because that was what was suggested in the Organic Gardening article that got me started with raised beds.
I also use mulch (lawn clippings) on everything, and have yet to have any soil borne disease on any of my tomatoes. Currently I am suspending my drip emitter lines above the center of each of the beds. I put in permanent posts (metal or wood, which ever I can get for free) at either end of the bed, and every 10' or 12' in between and run a tight top wire from post to post to hang lines from. I use baler twine , strung from the top wire to the drip line, and secured to the drip line. This allows me to twine the tomato vines around the lines for support, much like the commercial boys do in the greenhouses. From personal experience, I can verify that the treated wood is no threat to you or your plants (bloodwork done by my employer to check heavy metal and other possible contaminats). My wife was also tested (new wife , less exposure {from a different geographical area}), and came out with higher counts than I did, and I ate from that garden every day (potatoes, etc,). Lots more to say on this, but I feel like I'm writing a book already.
grunt is offline   Reply With Quote