View Single Post
Old August 2, 2008   #30
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Just curious when everyone is planning on harvesting their potatoes. So far I'm seeing good advice for mid-late September, with some folks harvesting a portion of their crops early for 'salad' potatoes. Since mature sized potatoes can be harvested 6-8 weeks after flowers die off, mid-September should work for me.

Seven weeks past flowers dying off for me would be the middle of September. I'm thinking I may dump one of the grow bags in early September to see how things are going. Would enjoy trying my first homegrown potatoes, even if they are a little smaller in size.

I'm just curious what everyone's plans are for harvesting.

BTW, the plants are clearly not far away from 'expiring'. Obviously, that should be good for potato growth. I stopped by this week and watered a couple of times. It was in the low-90's and Tuesday the soil in the growbags was pretty dry. HOPING that didn't affect the potatoes adversely. Also watered Thursday & today (Saturday). Will need to continue keeping an eye on the watering situation.

I'm not the most patient man - having a tough time holding off harvesting one of the bags (too) early.

Jeff

Last edited by OmahaJB; August 2, 2008 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Correcting 'weeks' to wait for mature taters
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote