View Single Post
Old April 18, 2006   #62
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Hello Jeff, - thats some very good observations and interesting theories- well worth looking into.

regarding the max/min heat sensors, you can usualy find these in their cheapest form at any large garden centre in the form of max/min thermometer for day and night temp, as it leaves little pins in the tubes at the level of the max/min - highest/lowest temps,

As I mentioned earlier a week or two ago- we had a big problem over here in the Uk with heat- in the big garden centres as many of them are built on the style of a gigantic greenhouse with glass roofing, and seed companies show stands- full of seeds for sale were always on display, some of them packed in foil sealed pkts and dated as that years harvest seeds, complete with sell -by-date stamp etc, and lots and lots of them was not germinating at all- if they had been on display during the previous month or so.

Since that time- things have changed , as there were hundreds of complaints , seeds are now stored in a very cool area outside under a something like a large garage porch- glass or plastic shaded roof but with open sides.

The only flaw I can see with bubble pack envelopes and bubble pack packaging etc, is that the bubble pack is supposed to be a very good insulator against heat or cold- therefore the temp inside the pkts would be much different to the outside temp-regardless, although it does offer very good protection against crushing etc.

I always store my seeds in the fridge in a sealed tupperware plastic box, year in year out ( my own saved seeds, traded seeds, etc ) in their original pkts, and when I get them out to use them they perform exactly the same as when they went in, good or bad seed -no change seems to be observed other than remaining as fresh as the day they went in.

the very best insulator is polystyrene, perhaps if some of us got hold of a bag full of granulated polystyrene- the same as they use for roof insulation in between the wooden joists, like little beads size granules, and then put a thin layer into a bubblepack envelope after you have put the seed pkts in the middle- it might solve the problem, as it would be shielded pretty much against all cold and heat during its journey.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote