View Single Post
Old October 20, 2008   #6
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellemk View Post
I would be intrested in names of Japanese cucks that you have grown. On a whim this year I planted 1 suyo long cuck (only one that came up). It was late but did not seem to be bothered by the cicumber beetles so I thought I might try more next season. Another one that was not bothered by the beetles was Sikkum. It was planted with Diva and another variety and it was the only one that survived. Was blossoming right up till frost.
i grew these at my other house and i do not have the garden documents that i have kept here so i don't know the names. if i saw the names of some long thin types i might recognize the name. i grew at least 2 maybe 3 or 4 long japanese type cukes at the other house and they were all good. none of the cukes i grew at that location ever were bothered by bw so i had no idea that bw even existed. here, for whatever reason, bw is a major problem. i am 8 miles south of the other location, 1 town over. even the 1st year or 2 here i do not remember this being a problem but about 6 or 7 years ago it started. this is the 4th (or 3rd?) season growing diva or county fair. i just would not bother with any other variety as they are doomed to die.

well i decided to just buy county fair from park seed. the seed is cheap and the s&h was reasonable. county fair is worth paying for so even tho the seed with shipping cost $4.70 and frankly i'd pay $5 just for the seed alone since it is all i can grow if i want cukes all summer! it's worth it.

tom
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote