View Single Post
Old November 25, 2008   #11
feralcatfriend
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, Carolyn. I hope you are feeling well.

What I'm trying to get at is an answer to this question, "What is a reasonable range for pounds-per-plant yield from an heirloom tomato plant that is healthy during a decent growing season?" This will help people who are trying to figure out whether it's worth it to put the card table at the end of the driveway, so to speak.

I know there can't be any guarantees and even a very productive plant can have reduced or no production due to disease, bad weather, critters, whatever.

But it seems like to me that a conservative estimate is an average of about 20 pounds per plant yield.

Does anyone else have an estimate in pounds per plant?

The best estimate I can find by Googling comes from a Canadian publication on yields of greenhouse tomatoes, which I would expect are hybrids. That estimate is 35 to 45 pounds per plant for a variety called "Trust."

Here's the thread where barkeater discussed the decline in Ramapo yield in succeeding generations as he de-hybridized it. I think you said in that thread, or another Ramapo thread, that there should not have been a decline in yield over the succeeding generations, so the decline might have been due to other factors. But I'm not really concerned with Ramapo, specifically.

I'm just trying to get at a ballpark number, in pounds per plant, to use to estimate yield for an heirloom tomato plant in good health in a decent season. Should I start a new thread to ask?

I appreciate any observations and insight I can get into this.

Cynthia
feralcatfriend is offline   Reply With Quote