View Single Post
Old January 10, 2009   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I had a look at the SH per usual. Still real problems with the Canadian-bred stuff. Roger Doucet is not happy with AgCanada registered varieties being renamed, ignoring the mandatory naming protocols. Not Q-1121, it's correctly Quebec 1121, for example. That's how it was commercially released as a government-bred variety.

Also the history of Provenzano. It's from an octogenarian Italian-Canadian who may have brought it from Italy (he doesn't remember clearly) and has been grown/selected for the northern BC climate for decades. Not the same baby any more and, in any case, this is a selling feature to those who don't think a large Italian variety would work in the north. I have all of Emile Provenzano's seeds now, tomatoes and other stuff.

I know the history of Provezano as well Jennifer and I do help out with blurbs from time to time but no way is there room to put ALL info known about all varieties for which a history is known. I have grown Provenzano. It has to do with page limitations. I noted to Linda Sapp that some info was missing in her new catalog and she told me that she lost a couple of lines for a couple of varieties again, b/c of page limitations. Going from a certain # of pages to more can cost big time in increased money/

And there are other large fruited Italian varieties that also do well in the north although I'm not remembering them at the moment.

Also who gave Glenn the Burgess Lemon? I've grown it for 5 years and it's sure nothing like the cherry he has listed. History-wise, the description doesn't really seem to fit. Sure doesn't match the USDA characterization either, USDA being my source of seed. I grow between 10-20 plants of it each year: Lillian Heirloom Yellow colouring in a June Pink body. Indet/RL.

Only Glenn would know who gave him the Burgess Lemon.

I know Glenn cares about this stuff. Not clear how to communicate it to him. Have not had emails acknowledged in past.

**** Yes, he cares about histories, to the extent that they don't take up too much room. There are some that he wrote that are much longer than anything I might do and I help only with those varieties I know well, and there's a lot that he lists that I don't know well. The goal lately has been to get basic info for each variety as to early, midseason and late, plant habit, leaf form, fruit color and size, and that would take precedence over any histories, or should, so folks will know how to confirm they have the right variety.

He lists varieties as folks send them to him so if someone sent to him something called Q....... and that should be Quebec, as you noted, there's not much that can be done about that.

He simply does not have the time to do extensive research, as I'm sure you already know. And nor does Linda.

Jennifer, back from oblivion and still grumbling.

I see that,and welcome back.