Thread: Big winner.
View Single Post
Old January 13, 2009   #10
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

I also grow the Marconis and have had great success with them. They have a little more tang than the Corno's IMHO.

Because they are so long, and you get several colors, I cut them into long strips and vacuum seal them and freeze them to use in stir fry. It ads a lot of flavor as well as eye appeal. The plants themselves are good looking. Very stocky with the fruit held near the main stem which is a plus for me as we can get a lot of wind which is tough on heavily laden-pepper plants. I use rigid hog/stock panels that are 4 foot tall by 16 feet in length (may be a little longer) affixed to a T post on each end. I tie all my pepper plants to that. It also seems to encourage faster ripening because of the warmth of the panel I am guessing. I have also started planting my pepper plants just 6 inches apart as they do absolutely fine and being that close, they offer a lot of support to each other as well as reducing sun scald.
I must add however that we have no problems with fungus or problems associated with high humidity and lack of air-flow. I am technically living in "high desert" and our total average moisture (both frozen and not) is only 10 inches per annum. Planting that close together in humid locations may not offer enough air-flow and encourage disease/problems.
brokenbar is offline   Reply With Quote