View Single Post
Old January 19, 2009   #20
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Johno this
Quote:
I wonder if a cross like Japanese Black Treifele X Opalka would get you what you're looking for
sounds interesting. I just recently started growing blacks (last year) because the chefs really want them both dried and fresh. I am no good judge of the subtleties in flavor in different varieties of blacks because I sure don't taste what others taste when eating black varieties. It would be important to get the best flavored black (and I know...you would just have to get an average consensus because everyone disagrees.) In paste tomatoes I particulary like Opalka and a couple of others...Federle, Chinese and Carol Chyko. They probably have as much flavor as any of the paste types and they are the performers in my garden. Chinese and Federle can really produce some "size" and although they are large, they certainly are not "comely" (in the eye of this beholder they are gorgeous.) I pretty much look for the same attributes in paste and drying tomatoes so I am assuming there are at least some growers who would like some size and taste on a paste-type, even if they do not dry them.

I keep hoping someone will "fiddle" around and produce just what I am looking for.
brokenbar is offline   Reply With Quote