View Single Post
Old January 22, 2009   #21
the999bbq
Tomatovillian™

hi guys,

I have an alternative for watering with the wine bottle, not only cheaper but also unlimited in its use throughout the garden. Problem with all bottle-type watering devices is that the opening(s) is/are going to get stuck with dirt over some time (it's going to happen, you just don't know when and than we try to delay this moment by stuffing permeable things into the holes).
I got myself a glass drill and drilled a little hole in the bottom of the winebottle, most winebottles have a bottom that goes slightly inwards, so that hole in the bottom never touches the soil (thus never clutters, well almost never, but at least you don't have to digg up the bottle, and just shake the bottle to remove the cluttering). You have the drills in different sizes so you can "adjust" the flow of speed to your needs (once, or if you start small, a limited number of times ;-) ).

You (at least I) break some bottles while making them but when you got the hole they go a long time and they do look stylish in the garden in their upright position (however you do have to convince people from time to time that you do not have a drinking problem yet solved a watering problem). To fill them you simply submerse them in your watercontainer (fill up in now time) and with your thumb closing the "classic" opening you can walk the distance ('under pressure' would Bowie say)...

So for about 5 dollars/euros/pounds (at least recession is good for one thing ;-) ) you can make as many watering bottles as you like...

You probably can't make the hole small enough so that the water (750ml) is dispersed over many hours, but the watering happens a (whole) lot slower than you would do with your watering can so you get a fairly local and deep watering (the water doesn't run of, going everywhere exept for the spot you decided)
the only problems are that they are "only" 750ml so you might have to use two "applications" (bigger ones usually have flatter bottoms; that seems to be a consistency in life not privileged just to bottles) and they do fall over sometimes...

Last edited by the999bbq; January 22, 2009 at 07:51 AM.
the999bbq is offline   Reply With Quote