View Single Post
Old March 4, 2009   #5
Jack Daniels
Tomatovillian™

Hello,
I think with store bought items, black cow is going to be your best bet of the choices. I have used black cow manure and liked it. I have not used black cow velvet. I have and do use mushroom compost and like it very much. I haven't noticed anything "bad" from the usage.

I did some research years back trying to get info on mushroom compost and usage in the vegetable garden. All I got was mixed reviews. I haul gravel for a living and have the means to haul 24 yards at a time. Locally, composted horse manure starts around 18 dollars a yard wholesale. There is a mushroom plant outside of Gonzales Texas that sells their spent compost. You can buy 1 yard or a thousand yards, your choice. Pull up in a pickup, or trailer, and they will load what you want. I wanted the compost info because I could buy the compost for 6 dollars a yard. this was a lot cheaper than 18 bucks when you are talking about 24 yard purchase. They supplied me with info on the compost that included the ingredients and the NPK levels. Because there are a lot of chicken farmers in the area, their compost uses chicken manure and not horse manure. OK, all the above doesn't help you since you don't live near Gonzales, but just wanted to give you some back ground info on why I use mushroom compost.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of the black cow products. They are kinda expensive compared to the other stuff on the same aisle, but you get what you pay for.

Glenn
Jack Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote