View Single Post
Old March 16, 2009   #4
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVTomatoMan View Post
We've had similar threads in the past. Perhaps posted by you? I agreed with the predictions then and now I think the trends are going to continue to have more backyard gardens and more emphasis on local produce.

Randy
Yep Randy, it was me. I am getting bombarded with these articles being sent to me from other gardeners. I read somewhere yesterday that seed sales are up by 40% since March 2008 and that jump is so significant, it almost has to be first time growers or at the very least, some of those who used to veggie garden but had stopped and now are returning. I have had 5 separate emails reporting on the projected scarcity of canning supples. Dehydrators are apparently flying off the shelves as are smokers, vacuum sealers and vacuum bags. There was a very real scarcity of Lemon/Lime juice this past season and it is projected again ( bought 6 large bottles of lime juice.) I also read that vinegar is supposed to be in short supply in some areas of the country and, although not related to canning, rice. There was already a rice scarcity but now that Chavez of Venezuela has "Nationalized" the rice growing concerns there, it is supposed to get much worse.

Troubling times and I would expect to get a lot more new forum members in the upcoming days. I know I have included a link at some of the political forums I belong to.