View Single Post
Old March 18, 2009   #82
ArcherB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgardener_tx View Post
Dice,
Thanks for the information. I already put the leaves in the bed. I will look closely. Somewhere I also read woodchips are not mulch neither. So what should I use? Texas native cedar mulch from HD?
I wouldn't sweat it as you already have everything in and on the ground. I don't think it will be a problem. I actually went to the neighborhood park and raked leaves to amend to the soil. If I'm gonna get away with it, so can you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgardener_tx View Post
Today I do feel frustration to grow tomatoes here. I went to backyard again and found most of my plants had some kind of yellow, sick leaves that I suspect they were from the coldness. But on Sunday and Monday they were all looking good. Some green bean's leaves are also showing the yellowish color. I also have a couple tray of tomato plants from seeds (cherokee purple) that just refuse to grow. It has one set of true leaves around 1-2 inches tall. The trays next to it with the same soil, same pot are happilly growing.
Sigh...
I'm pretty sure that's wind-burn. Nearly all of my plants have the same thing. It closely resembles the damage my plants took the last time it was cold and windy. Again, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Odds are, they will recover. Nearly all of mine have. While the leaves that are yellow will stay that way, the new leaves won't have the problem. And if they don't make it, so what?!!? You lose a plant or two. I know its harsh, but it's the attitude I've had to take. I have 14 free, planned slots still open in my yard with 24 plants that still need to go into the ground. If I lose any, it's makes room for better, stronger plants that will do better anyway! My only fear is that I will lose all of a single variety.
ArcherB is offline   Reply With Quote