Thread: SFT x with ?
View Single Post
Old May 10, 2006   #6
travis
Tomatovillian™

I received a little pack of SFT from Bully and germinated about a dozen seedlings. I think I have ten remaining after giving a couple away. All my SFT seedings' foliage looks identical and all are growing with identical characteristics similar to the ferny looking foliage shown here and at commercial catalogs for SFT.

When I was looking through thousands of seedlings at big box stores and nurseries for potato leaf seedlings in Early Girl six-packs, etc., I came across a single ferny looking seedling in a four pack of Husky Red Cherries.

I now have that seedling at home still potted up only to a four inch cell and waiting until it stops storming to put it out in a large container with three SFTs I have in 5-gallon pots.

So far the unknown Ferny One has foliage that looks very much like the 10 SFTs, but the individual leaf segments are about half the width of any of the SFTs' and the overall appearance is slightly "grayer," and much wispier or even "fernier" than the SFTs. It also has not spread out quite as much as the SFTs seem to want to spread. Like it is more erect and wants to hold its leaves a little closer to the main stem.

Otherwise, the Ferny One appears about the same age as the SFTs I germinated, and I would've thought it would look pretty much identical if it were SFT.

Anyway, time will tell. I will have pictures, but I haven't had time to upload any of my other pictures to a hosting page on my Website, so it may be a while.

Other than the slight foliage variation, and other than when it bears fruit, is there any other way to determine whether this single plant is other than SFT?

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote