View Single Post
Old March 30, 2009   #32
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebgordon View Post
At the end of five weeks the APS plants are
hardened off and ready to plant out this weekend. The bio-dome plants are healthy ,but two weeks behind in maturity.
Does anymore else have comparisons growing seedlings in
seed starter mix verses grow plugs?
Kind of off-topic, but I have never been excited about plugs/discs/pellets. i know they are "neat" but after having problems one year that I mixed up my own seed starting mix, I stick with the professional stuff. I do understand that seed starting mix can be somewhat messy to deal with.

At Suze's suggestion, I bought a new kitty litter tray and I go outside with the tray and bag of soilless sterile seed starting mix, dump out what I need into the tray, then bring it back inside and wet it and stir it with a trowel until it is just moist.

Then I take my seed starting tray and spread the soil until it's all ready to go.

It doesn't make much of a mess that way and the kitty litter tray makes enough soil for about 25 4 inch pots or several 72 cell trays.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote