View Single Post
Old March 30, 2009   #8
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default Source for Heirloom Seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Dancer View Post
Hi Happydog

The AHSC is indeed no longer a viable organization. As a gardener transplanted from the west to NC, I was very interested in the Conservancy as a way to learn about varieties that were adapted to our area. Sadly, it was not
a long lived endeavor, but I did learn to look at online forums and lists as a valuable source of information as a result of my short term of membership there. Made some good on-line friends along the way too.
Happy Dog, Wind Dancer is correct. I was a member of this group from the beginning; I knew most of the core group from gardening sites such as Dave's Garden and Garden Web. We would meet on a weekend in October; folks who farmed or worked the Farmer's Markets usually had completed most of their fall activities by that time.There was usually a group of 30+ folks coming from as far away as OK, TN, KY, IL, S.C. OH, VA. and perhaps others I can't remember. The 2007 October meeting was canceled due to poor pre-registration.
Carolyn mentioned that Dr. Bill Best had a gathering at the Sustainable Agriculture Center, near Berea, KY where we usually met for our meetings. This was a one day Saturday gathering for seed exchange a time for sharing and fellowship. I was unable to attend the 2008 due to my hospitalization. I do have a listing of the folks who made it and can share it with you in PM if you are interested.
Don't let the lack of this organization prevent you from your search of other sources. I have suggestions I will send to you.

Sustainable Mountain Agriculture Center
Be sure to read the two very good articles on Heirloom Beans and Heirloom Tomatoes.
http://www.heirlooms.org/