View Single Post
Old April 15, 2009   #8
Mischka
TomatovilleŽ Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by duajones View Post
You forgot the recipe for that eye round roast!

1 eye of the round (often called eye round) roast
4 teaspoons fine kosher salt or 2 teaspoons table salt
2 teaspoons grapeseed or peanut oil, plus 2 tablespoons. (I specify these types because they have a high smoke point)
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour

1. Salt the roast evenly. For a smaller 2 ½ to 3 pound roast, reduce the amount of kosher salt to 3 teaspoons (1 ½ teaspoons table salt). Wrap it with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator and allow it to rest for 18 to 24 hours. Salt helps break down proteins to improve texture.

2. Remove the roast from the refrigerator and pat it dry with paper towels. Rub it with 2 teaspoons of oil and sprinkle it liberally with your favorite seasoning salt mix. I use Lawry's or Goya Adobo.

3. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in the pressure cooker over medium-high heat until it starts to smoke. Get it hot! Sear the roast until it is browned on all sides, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. While this won't affect tenderness, it will boost flavor.

4. Add 2 cans of beef broth OR 3 beef bouillon cubes and 2 cups of water, sprinkle meat with more seasoning and put the lid on. Cook at 15 PSI for 40 minutes for a 3+ pound roast or 35 minutes for 2 - 2½ pounds.

5. When the cooking time is up, remove pressure cooker from the fire, let the steam escape and allow the pressure to come down. DO NOT immerse the pressure cooker under cold running water, as this will create a reverse vacuum inside and will instantly cool the meat down to too cold to serve. Open the cooker after all pressure is released, remove the roast and set it aside on a plate to rest for about 10 minutes.

6. Pour out the meat broth from the pressure cooker and make your gravy or use it as-is, like the French do, au jus.

Lump-free gravy made easily. Melt 3 tbsp. of butter in a large skillet. Add 3 tbsp. flour to the melted butter and work it over medium heat until flour starts to turn light brown. The trick is not to scorch the flour. Use a metal spatula and make sure you keep moving it around in the pan.

As soon as the flour turns light brown and foamy looking, whisk in your broth, slowly until mixed well. Continue to heat and whisk the gravy until it starts to bubble and thicken. Remove from fire immediately. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (There will be some salt in it already)

7. Now slice your roast crosswise (not WITH the grain) as thinly as possible. I use an electric knife. Serve with your gravy and enjoy!

MMMmmm MMMmmmm - now I want to run to the market and buy one to pressure cook!

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote