View Single Post
Old May 7, 2009   #10
Chucker
Tomatovillian™

Ted -

My plan at this point is to construct an open top wood box out of plywood. Then, I plan to line the inside of the entire box with the pond liner.

I'll probably have to add a small shelf system to hold the inside floor. I was thinking of surrounding the inside perimeter with 1x2s or 2x2s about 5" from the bottom. I know the wood will rot, but I can replace it every year or two. This is the weakest part of my plan.

On top of the perimeter shelf, I plan to use eggcrate (from fluorescent light fixtures) wrapped with nylon window screen (to keep the soil potting mix from falling through - I saw this on another site) and attaching a small PondLife basket underneath - similar to EarthTainer plans. I will cut a hole in the middle of the eggcrate for the potting mix in the pondlife basket to wick into the upper part.

I'll probably drill a hole or two through the wood that I use to support the eggcrate through to the outside to allow water to overflow.

I am undecided as to whether or not I will line the potting mix area with landscape fabric. There seems to be a debate on this, and I'm not sure if I'll add it or not.

And then, the main reason for the wood is to make it look nice, I plan to add some amount of trim to the outside to make it resemble a nice planter box - and probably paint it to match my shed.
Not sure if all that makes sense, but that's what is in my head .

I will probably try all of this this weekend, so if you have any better ideas, let me know.
Chucker is offline   Reply With Quote