View Single Post
Old May 11, 2009   #2
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

it's funny you posted this. today i was looking at the last of my garlic stored in the basement - all nootka rose. tight as a drum, rock hard, amazing as i harvested these in july 08. i have 2 cloves of korean red left and about 5 or 6 cloves of music. french pink, my other softneck, was sprouting and drying out 2 months ago. i did not plant any softnecks last fall as the bulbs are small but now all i have is 15 or 18 bulbs of nootka rose. i guess i have to buy some this summer for seed cuz once the nootka rose i have is gone i have no more garlic until about the 25th of july.

as far as good keeping harnecks, music seems to be the best but i have grown only about 12 different varieties. korean red held up fairly well but all my garlic has been starting to sprout and dry out over the past 5 or 6 weeks.

softnecks are better keepers than harnecks. i have only grown nootka rose and french pink other than some grocery store garlic that was a softneck and i planted some big cloves a few seasons ago. i seldom read about nootka rose, i thought i was one of the few growing it.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote