View Single Post
Old June 19, 2009   #8
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

I just use a spreadsheet and put in whatever columns of interest I need. One spreadsheet has all of my varieties sorted by color and color coded. I copy this and paste it into another page for that year, and delete the varieties I am not planting and then keep track of date sown, date germinated, date planted out. Another worksheet has individual plants, days to first picked fruit, number of fruit on the plant when the first ripe fruit is picked etc. Another page has flavor notes.

With Excel I made what looks like a Legoland of the property making different cells different colors, yard is green, house is Yellow, Barn is red...cultivated areas along side the house and barn as well as the garden plots are light orange, and I plug in the names of the tomatoes/vegetables. Each cell represents a foot, tomato plant every 3 feet etc. I use the cell outline feature for the cultivated areas. I print out sections and take out to the garden when planting to makes sure everything goes where it is supposed to be. The spreadsheet is easy to work with because I can vary the size of the spreadsheet (100%, 200%) either to look at the overall property, or zoom in to look at the individual varieties.

You can do the same thing with a Works spreadsheet, but the controls are a little differnt, more time consuming, and instead of all the different worksheets being different pages in one file you would have to make different files and hold them in a folder.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote