View Single Post
Old July 2, 2009   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb Abbey Orchards View Post
I read about a currant tomato in Amy Goldman's Heirloom Tomato book called Wild Sweetie that I'm interested in growing. I'm at a loss for tracking down seeds though. Goldman references a source in Australia called Diggers that no longer has the seeds. Nor did they have any suggestions. Seed Savers Exchange doesn't list them either. Any suggestions for where else to look?

By the way, this tomato is distinctly different from a tomato called Sweetie.

Any feedback or suggestions greatly appreciated.

John
John, I've just gone through this with someone else who asked about that variety and there is no commercial source that has seeds.

By doing one heck of a lot of background searching I was able to find one person who had a few 2005 seeds and he sent them to me to send on to the person who requested them but I don't think it would be right for me to open that pack, which I still have, and send some of them elsewhere.

I'm going to encourage the person who sent me the seeds to grow some out next year and offer them, and he is commercial.

When I wrote my book about tomatoes the Editor said that anything that I featured had to be available to the public, either commercially or through the SSE YEarbook, and I agreed with him, and strongly so. There are quite a few varieties in Amy's book which are not available to the public either commercially or through the Yearbook and that was also true of her melon and squash books. But that was her choice .