View Single Post
Old July 2, 2009   #4
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

farm supply stores like agway, blue seal or tractor supply company (all in my area). i imagine any good nursery/garden center also would carry it. they come in different sizes and are not verry expensive.

you may need to build a cage to hang it on. finches were pecking the crap out of every broccoli head and side shoot back about 3 years ago. when i found out what was causing the damage i built a frame from pvc pipe and hang the netting on it. now i can eat broccoli again.

for bushes this may not be necessary. if you lay the netting on the bushes the birds will eat all the fruits they can reach thru the netting mesh but then the rest are safe. for broccoli this just would not work as they be able to peck 90% of it.

a pvc cage is cheap, use 3/4" (no need to glue it as the ability to disassemble helps in storage) with some tees and elbows. my 10' X 10' X 5' tall cage cost about $15.

editted to add - yes birds will get under it so you have to have it drape to the ground then place boards or water filled milk jugs on the netting to close them out at the ground level.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote