View Single Post
Old July 16, 2009   #24
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsguy76 View Post
Thats funny, I found a variety at my local nursery that was labled as "Peach Tree" that looks and tastes very much like Frog is describing. Spot on with the un-tomato taste, more like a tropical fruit taste, with lots of seeds and oh so sweet. If left on the vine for a long time I've noticed they turn a deep yellow. Anyways, I saved a ton of seed if anybody is interested.

Damon
Damon, I've never seen a variety called Peach Tree, but we are talking California here and over the years the ingenuity of CA folks with regard to variety names has amazed me.

I know of:

Garden Peach
Peche Blanche
Peach
Peche Jaune
Red Peach
Pink Peach
Yellow Peach
Peach Blow Sutton
Peche
Peaches and Cream

.... but alas no Peach Tree other than ones I spent time at the top of in the peach orchards we had at home just gulping down down sun ripened fruits and getting itchy from all the peach fuzz.

Of the ones I've grown above it would be Garden Peach which I didn't think much of and Peach Blow Sutton which looks just like a peach as to coloring and not that different from the variety called Nectarine which I've also grown.

As for white peaches, aka flattened fruits also called Saturn peaches, they should start to be seen in our local stores soon, and those I LOVE. We had two white peach trees in the orchards at home where I was raised and a man from a nursery came each year to cut scions b'c I guess they were quite rare. Same size and exterior coloration of Elberta's and all others, but a white, meltingly delicious interior.

Ah, the memories.

And how to differentiate all the ones I listed above? Who knows unless they are all grown out at the same time in the same season by the same person.