View Single Post
Old August 16, 2009   #4
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Update time.

We've had a dificult no-heat summer up til this last week. On Aug 7-9 we had several rains that totaled 1.2 ". It's also finally gotten hot and somewhat humid. It's brought on the tomatoes.

Thursday the crew spent most of the day and picked 24 half pails of tomatoes of most every shape and color. "Half pails" because I don't want the tomatoes on the bottom of a 5 gal bucket to be mush by the time it gets to the barn.

I wasn't expecting them to find so many ripe and near ripe tomatoes so we didn't keep the varieties seperate this picking. This week we will be going thru the field and finding the marker stakes and weeding around them so we can label the tomatoes picked from now on.

We do have rain in the forecast for later today and tomarrow and it's been rather hot so hopefully we will have some great tomatoes for tasting in just 2 weeks when we have the Tomato Day on Sunday Aug 30.

I've been talking to people at the farmers markets about the Tasting Day and have gotten some people that seem really interested. I sure hope it turns out OK.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote