View Single Post
Old August 29, 2009   #4
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Sherry, found this one over by the canning jars. It's mrs. Wages in a dark brownish red soft package. They have both a salsa and a sauce packet.

I made another batch last night and used only Cherokee Green tomatoes and Tomatillo Cisineros with all peppers still green - Apelsin, Jalapeno, Red Bell, and a couple Sweet Banana. The sauce came out with a somewhat fruitier taste, and was the color of the Cherokee Green with a slight amber blush about it. The taste was still excellent. This one can be served with pride on St. Patricks Day. I'll have to freeze some Cherokee Greens to save for that.

Next, I'm going to gather up enough Azoychka, Golden Cherokee, and some yellow cherries to get enough to try another color. This recipe is working out very well. Great taste and great eye appeal with the ability to control the color without using food coloring. If you have the sauce base prepared, the total prep time can be as little as the time it takes to bring everything to temp and cook the tomatillos and peppers a bit - depending on how much crunch you want.

Structure, I'm sure your recipe is quite tasty, but I was trying to recreate something I remember from 30 years ago. Maybe you should give mine a try. I'll try yours sooner or later. We're big on salsa here at the Bucket Farm.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote