View Single Post
Old October 4, 2009   #260
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

My peppers have finally started turning red in the past week! I'll harvest the red ones as they appear, since we've started having cooler nights in the 40s. I'm planning to dry them to use as a condiment.

I planted 8-10 seeds of each outdoors on March 13 under bubble wrap ("wintersowing"), lost some to snails, and ended up with 4 of Pepper 9, 4 of Pepper 22, and 2 of Pepper 29 in 1-gallon pots. I've been experimenting with half coir and half homemade compost in some containers.

Most of the Pepper 9 plants have dark purple-black leaves. Two of them have only 2-3 fruits each. The biggest plant has at least 50 fruits, which were also dark purple-black until a couple weeks or so ago, then started turning green and are now turning red, one by one. The plant with green leaves has 10-15 fruits, which are shorter and stockier than the fruits on the other plants. I picked one fruit each from the two latter plants -- my first ripe ones this year!

Three of the Pepper 22 plants have green leaves with very pale green, almost white, thin fruits (2-3, 7, and 10-15 fruits each). The fourth one, also with green leaves, has more than 35 fruits, which were dark purple and have been changing to dark green and now, one by one, to red.

One Pepper 29 has green leaves and purple-black stems, but no fruits. The other one had green leaves and only a couple small roundish fruits that are changing from purple-black to green.

Last edited by habitat_gardener; October 5, 2009 at 12:24 AM. Reason: looked at them again and found one P9 with green leaves, and picked 2 fruits
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote