View Single Post
Old November 7, 2009   #2
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Peppers I have grown before:

1. Pimiento De Chiero: (C chinense) Evil yellow jelly beans with a unique flavor. It's one of my favorites, and a favorite with most my friends. The flavor is such that when people like the taste, they *really* like it; but a fair number don't care for the taste. It's still producing and isn't much affected by the cool nights.

2. Limon (C chinense) Always the first chinense to ripen in my garden, these are sizzling yellow and thin skinned peppers with a touch of citrus to the flavor. A heavy frost is about the only thing that stops this pepper.

3. Melrose: (C Annum) Sweet Italian frying pepper that produces early and often. No longer setting fruit in the cool weather.

4. Lemon Drop: (C baccatum) Hot yellow peppers with crisp lemony tasting flesh. Very hardy and productive, really brightens up stir fries and salsa, and they're easy to seed and prep. Can't be without a Lemon Drop plant.

5: Bishop's Crown: (C baccatum) A goofy looking pepper that's fun to grow and share. Everyone should grow it at least once. It does not like the cool weather, the leaves are getting pale and dropping off. Still going strong.

6. Tangerine Pimento: (C annum) Sweet orange pepper with classic thick pimento-type flesh. Does not like the cool weather.

7. Giant Marconi: (C annum) Wonderfully sweet, large, red peppers. I love these. Still trying to produce in the cool weather.

8. Fatalii: (C chinense) There was an oops this year. I ordered a Grenada Seasoning, but from the heat, this has to be a Fatailii. Nice flavor, but more heat than I can really handle. The plant still looks good, but it isn't setting fruit.

9. Sheepnose Pimento: (C annum) Another wonderful pimento pepper. I like these so much more than bell peppers. The plant looks ok, but it is not setting fruit in the cool weather.

10. Dedo de Mocho: (C baccatum) The second baccatum I tried. Medium heat red peppers with that fruity baccatum flavor. Very productive in the summer, but doesn't like cool weather. It starts dropping leaves when the nights go below 50F.

11. Chaco Yellow: ( C baccatum) This is sold by the Chilewoman as C chacoense, but it's clearly a baccatum. Small bullet shaped orange peppers that are spicy and have that classic baccatum fruity flavor. The plants get very large and bushy, and produce continuously. The only think I don't like is that the fruit doesn't hold well. Today they're ripe, and day after tomorrow, they're overripe. I feel like I waste a lot of these peppers, but there it's so productive, I don't miss them. Doesn't care for cool weather.

12. Pilange: (C baccatum) One of my favorite, very productive and hardy plant. The peppers are medium heat and shaped like tiny, red, flattened pumpkins. I love stuffing and grilling them. The year I threw a hoop house up over the garden, this is the pepper that did the best. It kept trying to set fruit all winter.

13. Brazilian Pumpkin: ( C baccatum) This may be the exact same pepper as Pilange. I can't tell any difference.

14. Corno Di Toro Red and Yellow: (C annum) My very favorite sweet pepper. They're just delicious. Not setting fruit in the cool weather.

15. Trinidad Perfume: (C chinense) Very productive, very tasty mild yellow hab-type. It's one of the best seasoning peppers I've ever grown. It's still setting peppers.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote