View Single Post
Old November 8, 2009   #12
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Blue,
Nice report especially since it was from memory! My list of peppers is much shorter than yours.
~The illegal pepper that I really didn't grow got pretty tall for two of them together in an pot, almost 3'. They did start to lose leaves when the weather got cold. I wish I noticed sooner, but they are inside now and hopefully I can successfully overwinter the plants since they took so long to start making peppers. The peppers have a nice flavor with a bit of heat. I like them. This is the first baccatum I've tried.

~Korean Dark Green performed well as usual. It is a Kim Chee pepper. The plants are short and bushy with dark leaves. They take awhile to make peppers, but then all of the sudden it is loaded. The peppers hang down and look very pretty on the plants. I've grown them a few times, but I've never tasted this pepper fresh. I'm afraid to try. I let them dry and save them for my husband to make Kim Chee and other dishes that need hot pepper.

~Beaver Dam didn't make a ton of peppers, but I really like the taste. I eat these fresh in salad so they have the right amount of mild heat for me. I think it did better a couple years ago with hot summer weather.

~Banana Bill. I grew this since I had free seeds from a few years ago. THe plants were very productive, but the flavor was nothing memorable.

~Purple Beauty bell pepper. It was early despite the cold weather so I really like that.

~Fenton Red. This was seed I saved from a local farmer. I was hoping to get an elongated sweet red, but the peppers were regular bells.

~Early Niagara bell pepper. It did ok, but I think it did much better a couple years ago in the heat.

What mild habernero types do you recommend?
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop

Last edited by remy; November 8, 2009 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Frogot to ask a question
remy is offline   Reply With Quote