View Single Post
Old January 3, 2010   #10
pooklette
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicurus View Post
What are fees like? Is it just SASE or must you have seeds to exchange for others? It works well for you folks?
There's the $35 annual membership fee, which I'm sure you already know about. As for other fees:

Each January SSE mails out the annual Yearbook. It's a HUGE book listing all the seeds members are offering to 'share' with other members. You do not send seed in exchange, but you do have to send them $$ to help offset the cost of packaging, postage, etc.

The amount of $$ you send depends on what seeds you're asking for. For example, if you're a US member, a packet of 25 tomato seeds will cost $2-3 and a packet of 25 bean seeds will cost $3-4. International members pay about $2 more due to the increased cost of shipping overseas.

I think the whole process is pretty simple. Lets say you get your Yearbook in February and see I have offered some tomato seeds you'd like to try. There's a seed request form at the back of the Yearbook which you would fill out and mail to me. The request form tells you how much $$ to enclose and tells me what you want and where to mail it. When I get your form, I have 30 days to mail your seeds. That's it. It's pretty straight-forward.

To answer a few additional questions:
  • No, I've never had anyone fail to send my seeds.
  • Twice, I've had seeds take more than 30 days to get to me. Both fellows were mortified my seeds didn't arrive sooner and actually refunded my money. (Which was very nice and not necessary, IMO.) In my experience, this 'late arrival' is rare.
  • To my knowledge, I've never received crossed seeds.
Does that help?
pooklette is offline   Reply With Quote