View Single Post
Old January 5, 2010   #6
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Quote:
I realize not many OP's have been tested for Fusarium resistance but I was hoping to get some comments on flavor in wilt resistant varieties.
I probably need to get my creations tested for Fusarium resistance. I am starting my third decade of breeding with the triple Fusarium I, I2 and I3 and one of my favorite original strains is the Florida strain Fla 7481.

I don't need all of this 3 way resistance where I live here in the NW but I try to introgress the genes into many heirloom types of tomatoes for the purpose of just that. Independently of Dr. Gardner of NC I made the cross of Fla 7481 to NC 84173 many years ago and this past season grew out some OP's of those. I notice that the hybrid Amelia is a cross of Randy's NC 11F-2(98) which traces the same lineage.

Some day I will have to test my lines to see if I was able to get the unusual heirloom traits and FFF combined. Fla 7481 also is a high lycopene line and that I see in the lines because the flowers have that Old Gold color. BTW, Fla 7481 does not have a lot of flavor and my crosses and segregating lines are much better.

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote