View Single Post
Old January 12, 2010   #3
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

I think that in many ways the breeders are facing pressures today. Pressure from the public who simply do not trust the major players, (probably many of whom fund research for the land grant colleges and private organizations), players such as the big ag corporations, USDA, etc. who are pushing genetic engineering to suit their own product demands, or for ever increased disease resistance and productivity. Meanwhile, such factors as flavor and similar sensory issues will not get funding or approval. As I have communicated with different researchers in the potato community, the market demand and demographic factors will ultimately play a huge role there just as it has done with apples, tomatoes and even the varieties of vegetables and fruits that immigrants and a new age/demographic composition will require. Today, the public wants safe foods, healthy foods, and flavorful foods. I well remember an Atlanta with maybe four grocery chains. Today, there are entire communities of different ethnicities with different demands as well as HUGE international megamarkets throughout the city with every conceivable fruit and vegetable shipped in from around the world. As has been very well observed here, and clearly indicated by the membership, people WILL pay more for quality and those other factors...or grow their own. IF the generic GREEN GIANTS continue to control a market with only a few varieties..varieties driven solely by resistance and ease of mass productivity.. the will lose that market. The days of only the Red and Yellow Delicious apples, pasty tomatoes, and dry/mealy/flavorless potatoes is history. Certain agricultural practices are now known for their overwhelmingly impact upon our soils and they are changing. For corporations to think that the public wants deadly poisons, strong antibiotics, or unnatural/dangerous genetic manipulation is insane. Fortunately there are forums such as this where folks can rediscover flavor, safety, and sensory appeal and breeders, such as yourself, who still value flavor. FOOD Inc was a real eye opener for me, partly because I DO remember when most homes had gardens and yardbirds. Ironically, that was also just after WWII, just as Ammonium Nitrate and draining the life out of America's farmland was on the rise. Now, thoughts such as using corn as fuel and what that portends for our soils just makes me cringe...almost as much as landfills. Bless you Tom for your values!
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote