Thread: Sauces Recipes
View Single Post
Old January 17, 2010   #4
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Brokenbar’s Marinara Sauce

5 gallons processed tomatoes (no skins, no seeds.)
6 Cloves Garlic Minced
4 Smallest Cans Tomato Paste
2 Pounds Sweet Italian Sausage
2 Pounds Ground Beef
½ Cup Red wine Vinegar
2 Pound Sliced Mushrooms (fresh or canned)
4 Large Carrots Peeled & Grated
6 Large Bell Peppers, Any Color, Seeds Removed, Diced
6 Tablespoons Italian Seasoning (or 2 Tablespoons each of fresh Basel, Oregano, Parsley)
2 Cups Sugar
¼ Cup Olive Oil
4 Tablespoons Salt
¾ Cup Lime Juice
1 cup red wine vinegar

Bring tomato sauce to boil. Lower heat and simmer until liquid is reduced by half.
Add tomato paste, stir well.

Saute sausage, ground beef. Drain off grease thoroughly. Saute onion, peppers mushrooms (if fresh mushrooms) garlic and carrots in olive oil until translucent.
Add meats and vegetables to sauce mixture. Add all spices, salt, sugar, vinegar and lime juice to tomato mixture. Simmer 20 minutes on VERY LOW HEAT (be careful…this is thick and will scorch easily.) Fill appropriate number of “2-quart volume” freezer containers or process, 90 minutes at 15 pounds in pressure canner for quarts (the time and lbs is for my area, above 4,000 feet.) THIS MUST BE PRESSURE CANNED if using jars. The meats in it make it unsafe to just hot water bath can.

The lime juice and vinegar are what keep this sauce tasting very fresh after freezing and canning. They keep the ingredients from breaking down. The carrots neutralize the acidity.

This is a robust and flavorful sauce. It is my own recipe that I have used for more than 20 years.