View Single Post
Old January 25, 2010   #8
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

I have been using the organic seed starting mix by Ferry Morse that I mix with an espoma seed starting organic fertilizer and microrganism loaded mix, both from Lowes. However, have found the need to add boiling water to the Ferry Morse mix to get it to quickly aborb liquid..otherwise it takes a long time despite being advertised as having been treated to absorb water. However, I am overwhemingly pleased with the success rate as the seedlings are beautiful and even of the tiniest of seeds sprouted easily....NO pine bark noted. Too, leggyness has not been a problem, but they are in the full sun in my "Florida room" and heated with a small electric heating fan. My main challenge is keeping the water on them. With the gallon a day, I will be switching to distilled water. For starting trays, I have used the large aluminum roasting pans that come with plastic covers....about 3.50 for 2. Already beginning to transplant to the kind of cups used for hot beverages as they are broad at the bottom and lined to resist the water. 80 seedlings transplanted thus far and not a single one lost yet in the seedling process. I do press the soil into the pans so that the mix will have more body.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote