View Single Post
Old February 12, 2010   #8
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyK View Post
I love kale....but haven't grown it in years as the last time I got loads of aphids and earwigs who seem to love it as well haha. I am drooling over all of those cooking suggestions though and may have to give it another try.
Donna, When I've planted a bunch of kale or broccoli plants, I've noticed that aphids are often concentrated on one plant. A couple other local gardeners have observed this, too. So if it's early in the season, I let the aphids have one sacrificial plant, so that when the predators (lady beetles, lacewings, etc.) come they'll stick around. One year the flush of aphids came when the purple sprouting broccoli buds were starting to form, though, and they all clustered on those.

I also grow herbs and native plants so that I can have something in bloom year-round to support and attract populations of predators. I know this isn't possible in colder climates, but if you can get some tiny-flowered, early-blooming native wildflowers, chances are they will attract some predatory insects. I grow yarrow, gilia, clarkias, native asters, and Calif. poppies.

You might also try some of the less crinkly kales. Red Russian, Russian White, Siberian, Red Ursa, etc.. are flatter with lacy edges, and at least if they get aphids, they're easier to wash off.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote