View Single Post
Old February 13, 2010   #38
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
I think the 'stuffer' Sierra Leone was a pretty cool discovery, as the fruit shape is beautiful - certainly very different from what I have grown before.

As Jeanne mentioned there should not be many hybrids in the area where the seeds were collected from, and I am certainly puzzled how Carolyn and myself got such different results... I only have 4 more original seeds left, but I can re-trial this year to see what comes out of these...

I know sometimes environmental factors can cause empty seed cavities in the fruits, but there should not be too much variability in ribbing, I'd hope...
I don't know how our results are so different either Tania. I do know that weather conditions can be involved with hollowness as well.

Jeanne sent very few seeds and of course I have to send some to gardenmama who raises my plants, and she sent me one plant, and then I have to send seeds to bcday who does most of my seed production for me and she didn't get any germination with the seeds so my plant and my fruits were it for Sierra Leone.

I didn't have enough seeds to list with SSE or even offer in my seed offer but if you want a few more seeds I can send them to you, not a problem.

I thought so well of the variety, but not as a stuffer, that I had planned to send it for trial to those places I normally do send varieties that I think are great. And I don't recall Jeanne saying anything about it being semi-hollow either. Having gotten other varieties from her she usually tells it like it is. Her Herman's Special that I listed with SSE last year and offered seeds for last year was one of Reinhard Krafts favorites, along with Moravsky Div and some others I sent him.

I thought Jeanne was going to list it in the 2010 Yearbook and I think I looked and didn't see it, but you know how an old lady can have problems with short term memory, ahem, so I should look again.