View Single Post
Old February 15, 2010   #4
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

While researching how to transplant rhubarb a year or two ago, I remember reading something about transplanting them when it's still a little dark out to keep the sun from hurting the roots. I don't know enough about it to say how important that is, but it is what I read.

I'm excited at finally being able to order Valentine rhubarb. I read about it in one of the seed catalogs last year but it was sold out before I tried ordering. The blurb said it was the winner in a trial of 25 Canadian varieties. It was backordered when I called and I wont get it until at least late March, so there is the possibility they'll run out before completing my order, but I doubt it. Sounds like a great one.

I tried growing from seed last year and the rhubarb didn't do real well. It grew but is very small compared to what my sister grew from root stock. The one I started from seed is Victoria. Someone told me in one of my threads that it takes a long time to grow rhubarb from seed to decent size.

Edited to add: I ordered 3 roots and I'm planning on planting one in-ground, one in a 5-gallon growbag, and will be giving one away. Hoping the one in the grow bag does ok.
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote