View Single Post
Old February 19, 2010   #2
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I have to admit that while I make a card like you want, for the most part I took the easy way out and simply copied a pic and text from whatever seed catalog I originally got the seed from. Of course I edited out some of the really excessive flowery stuff and added anything personal I had for the variety.

Personally I like the Printmaster program for making my signs. Fairly simple and you can go back and edit a file at any time. Some programs like PSP or Photoshop can make a sign but after you save it it's hard to edit in the future. Printmaster is also what I use for all my labels. Much more versitile than M$ programs.

I'm not sure if you can see the signs I make in this pic or not. There is a variety sign taped on the shelf for each flat as each flat is different.

One of the best things I did for making signs is to get a laser printer. Even hot laminating an ink jet printed sigh didn't last very long at all doing the outdoor markets not to mention the need to water the flats daily.

I print on 4 x 6 index cards so be sure your printer can go that small and is capable of using 65 lb "card stock". I occasionally also print some price signs on the larger 5 x 8 index cards.

Doing the laminating does the best to make the signs look "professional". That can be a PITB tho as it's next to impossible to find the laminating pouches for those small sizes. I have found tho that you can do 2 - 5 x 8 cards in a "letter" size pouch and 4 - 4 x 6 cards in a "legal" pouch and both of them are common at the office stores. Then you need a paper cutter to do a nice job of cutting them apart.

Yup, doing a nice job of stuff requires a well equiped office. More than a person might think for a "garden" job.

Carol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ray-spring2.jpg (368.7 KB, 182 views)
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote