View Single Post
Old February 24, 2010   #7
Anijunga
Tomatovillian™

I put all my tomato information in an Excel file and then do a directory mail merge in Word using a table to organize my data. I then scour the Internet for good photos of the varieties I have (I don't ask for permission to use them, I eventually plan to have all my own photos). I make three booklets organized by the following: alphabet, colour and shape. I print off all the pages and put them in sheet protectors so I don't have to worry about getting them wet.

I create laminated 4"x5" mini signs of each variety with just the name and photo of the tomato that I attach to 2' bamboo sticks and put into a group of the same plants. I also print off transplanting and care tips on a half sheet of paper that I give to each customer. In my region, I put up 8.5 x 11 posters of the dates of sales for my plants with my address, phone number, email, price and photos of select tomatoes with an area to rip off my contact info at the bottom of the page. On the day of sale, I put 2' x 3' signs on the main roads with arrows directing people to my driveway. I also advertise in the local paper and on things like Craigslist.

I don't mind sharing all my files if anyone wants it. It's a lot of work and I know how annoying it is to try and organize everything.