View Single Post
Old March 3, 2010   #12
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

Hunt
Yes you have to have a different card for each tomato - takes 1/2 of an 8 1/2 by 11 sheet per variety (2 per sheet) but you make it only once for a variety and then you can add them all to a binder which includes the tomato name, picture and information about the variety.

I also made several extras as friends and neighbors who came to our house would always ask - what's this tomato and this one and this one - I eventually printed a sheet of cards then took them to a shop where they did a 10 mil laminate (cost me $50-65 for 150 sheets or 300 cards.
I then cut them sheets in half so you had 2 cards and used a whole punch to make holes to use those slip ties - name?? - to attach them to my tomato cage or stake and walla - no more ??? my friends/neighbors would wander by the plants and read all about them.

They have lasted 5 seasons though a few have lost some of the color as I used cheap photo paper and some water leaked on a few where I punched holes (working on a solution for that).
Other are still looking good but eventuall will make more new ones and have to when I add varieties.

They also work great when selling tomato plants because you can use a binder and show the customer or let them look at the variety they are interested in.
They would probably work for selling fruit as the customers can read all about the taste etc with the card in front of the variety being sold.
Kind of like some of the big plant sales do at colleges , tomatomania and Fullerton Arboretum by me. I am sure many have seen something like this at a nursey etc.

Hunt if you are interested send me a PM with your email and I will shoout you a sample - just let me know a couple of the varieties you are growing and I will attach them and send to you in an email.

It's nothing new I just took some time to put some together and you can edit as you wish - they are in word with a pic added.

Dennis
mtbigfish is offline   Reply With Quote