View Single Post
Old March 3, 2010   #20
nctomatoman
TomatovilleŽ Moderator

Dennis, we are really lucky - the NC State Farmer's market charges 15.00 per day for a space (up fro 10.00 last year, 7.00 a few years prior to that), but it is still just a great deal. The big challenge for Saturday day sellers like me is that the spaces are first come first serve - I've actually gone on Friday night, paid for the day, just to set up. When strawberries come in, it is virtually impossible, and I end up in under a tent in the parking lot - which is fine, I just update my web site the night I set up so people can find me.

I used to pay for a small ad in the newspaper, but at 75-100.00 for a teeny tiny ad in the Home and Garden section in the Saturday Raleigh newspaper, it wasn't worth it. craigslist, my website, word of mouth, repeat business works fine. Yes, of course I have Carolyn's book with me! I also have business cards I hand out, which then get shared with neighbors and friends.

But I am a very tiny operation, and that is fine - at this point it is something that just about pays for itself in materials....the whole purpose is getting people great interesting things to grow and educate them about heirloom varieties.

Another great part is that it leads to doing some local garden talks, which are also great fun!