View Single Post
Old March 5, 2010   #14
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

Jerry
Got it - so you are just using like a heat mat to keep the soil warm for germination - looks like you have 2 boxes - how much cost and time to make them?
I ended up replacing my 2 old style heating mats and they cost me $59 ea - are 20X48 " and 100+ watts each (holds 4 1020 trays each) and $30 for the controller that will run 4 mats - though 2 mats are plenty.
I do a semi dense planting method like nctomatoman (Craig Lehoulier from NC also) uses except I use only about 1/8 the # of seeds all outside under a patio roof. I wait until 80-90% sprout and then under the flouro lights they go - lights on for 12 hrs during the day mostly then off at dark - my seed starting cart has a clear vinyl cover and is outside also, it has 4 shelves and 4 4' fluros per shelf - I just ended up buying instead of rebuilding my old rusted out ones - will do that later when I get ambitious
It can be unzipped and rolled up/open to vent during the day if needed and I have a temp probe to monitor the temps on the mats and under the lights
Sounds like you use the box for exactly the same reason and once under lighrts do start a new batch of seedlings? How many at a time?

Good Growing
Dennis
mtbigfish is offline   Reply With Quote