View Single Post
Old March 14, 2010   #4
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

You two are probably right in that I would prefer for this to be able to be moved. It just seems to be a major hassle having to wrap myself around a huge Rubbermaid container and I couldn't come up with a desktop that would allow me to work without making a real mess and having to reach over a desktop container. Maybe a two piece unit like some computer desks where the top unit sits atop the desk? My earlier thought was for a bin on the top that would dispense the soil through a flexible tube, but filling it would probably be a multi- stage process rather than lifting a huge bag. maybe a Rubbermaid bin on a shelf? I had the idea of using one of my beer brewers that has a spigot and hose for filling bottles, but a separate rubbermaid bin next to the soil bin could also be use for water with a simple spigot & hose added. Fortunately the potting soil is not all that heavy, but it could be set on a shelf and filled with a bucket and the movable step ladder with deep steps that I already have. This way, the top unit could be taken down if and when it is not needed, but as much as I will be using the bins for other projects like working with my orchids, I bet it would stay up most of the time. Too, the lights could be mounted beneath the shelf or even a second shelf for plants during the off season. THANKS so much for your thoughts and assistance! mensplace@bellsouth.net
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote