View Single Post
Old April 11, 2010   #2
easttx_hippie
Tomatovillian™

Default Growing garlic, too

I split three heads of garlic into two planters. One is about 6"x6"x3' long. The other is round with a diameter of 18". I put ten cloves in each of them in January and they all came up. Two weeks later I added six shallots each that are also doing well. I covered the tops of the planters with 6-8 layers of newspaper and then covered that with shredded leaves. They're now 12"-18" tall and beginning to form nice bulbs.

My growing medium is two parts sifted compost (my own), two parts peat moss, and one part perlite. I mix 1/2 cup of blood meal into a gallon of water and let it steep for a few days in the sun. I use that to water my plants once a week for four weeks. I then switch to a mix of blood meal and bone meal in the water for a couple of weeks. By that time I'm ready to sprinkle on some compost tea with added bone meal.

So far.....everything is doing great.

My only advice would be to mulch the garlic and keep it cool. It seems to thrive on cool/cold......mine shot up almost six inches after being covered in snow for two days.
easttx_hippie is offline   Reply With Quote