View Single Post
Old May 3, 2010   #14
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have read a lot of misleading stuff here so far.

One, a GFCI does not reference ground to neutral,(neutral and ground share the same buss on many breaker panels, really,) it references ground to hot.

Two, never ever disconnect the ground to stop the GFCI from tripping.
Three electrictiy follows the path of least resistance.

Four if it is your house why not remove the GFCI put in a regular outlet and ground the hell out of your system.
You will still be protected from shock, refer to statement three.
If you have water in your basement don't even think of doing this.

Five for your information refrigerators and freezers do not have to be on a GFCI because they can trip out and ruin your food.

Six a GFCI is a weak breaker of sorts that if it draws too much currant it will trip out.
You probably have a ballast going out which will draw too much currant and cause the trip.
Seven inrush currant is the currant that is drawn when something is first started up.
This goes away after the device is running and the currant goes down this could be the problem.
To solve this IF the outlet has a GFCI on it you can again install a regular NON GFCI outlet and then plug in 2 GFCI cords this will cut the currant drawn on the GFCI in half.
use two lamps instead of one or whatever.

Yes I have worked as a Union electrician and have done electrical for many years I do low voltage instrumentation now.

120 VAC has killed more people than any other voltage ever, this is because it is just enough the make you clamp up on the currant or whatever it is going to and not enough to knock you off.

I have been hit so hard it almost stopped my heart and it did put me on the ground, a buddy knocked me off.

PS get NFPA 70 for reference or just ask me, I have the book and it cost a lot of money

I hope this cleared things up a little.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote